Emeritus Professor of Chinese and East Asian Studies
Founding Director of the Confucius Institute of Rutgers University (CIRU)
- Ph.D., University of Washington
- B.A., National Taiwan University
Areas of Specialization
- Chinese Literary Criticism
- Chinese Thought
- Chinese Hermeneutics
- Chinese Culture
- East Asia
Selected Awards and Distinctions
- Chair Professor, National Chi-Nan University, Taiwan, 2009.
- World Language Award, Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and On-line Teaching (MERLOT), 2008.
- Reviewer, Academic Excellence Projects, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 2006
- Chair, Advisory Editorial Board, East Asia: An International Quarterly (Transaction), 1998-2002.